Saturday, September 24, 2011

Southern Saturday

Hey friends!

Let's talk about one of my most favorite things EVER!

Whiskey.
Bourbon.
Southern Comfort!

You see, now that I'm legal to drink (as of last Sunday), I've found myself indulging in something completely new to me.
Desserts with alcohol in them!
Wahhhhh!?!

This new cupcake place in town opened up called Crave Cupcakes. They offer cupcakes with liquor in them that requires you to be of age to taste & buy. I'm so loving this!

I haven't made it to Crave just yet, but I plan on it before my accounting class this week.
Okay, maybe that's not such a great idea lol!
But definitely very soon!

Anyways, a few weeks ago, I tried a Southern Comfort pound cake which I am determined to make...maybe this weekend coming!
A little time in the kitchen would be good for me.

So here it is. Please give it a shot. You'll absolutely fall madly in love with it!



Southern Comfort Pound Cake

2 1/2 sticks (10 oz) butter, softened
1 -6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1/4 cup Southern Comfort, bourbon or whiskey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
Southern Comfort Glaze -below

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 12-cup Bundt or tube pan.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter and cream cheese at medium speed until nice and creamy. Slowly add the sugar beating at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time on low speed in 30 second intervals blending batter together after each addition. Blend in the liqueur and extract until just blended on low speed and gradually add the flour in at least three additions waiting until all is incorporated before preceding with the next addition. Increase speed to medium and beat batter for 30 seconds to improve elasticity.

Bake for about an hour or until internal temperature reaches 210 degrees F. You can also test with a toothpick inserted in center. If it comes out clean, the cake is done, otherwise, continue baking and check every 5 minutes with a clean toothpick.

Make the glaze during the last 15 minutes and remove cake when done. Slowly spoon the hot glaze over the cake while still in the pan gradually allowing it to soak into the cake. Use up all of the glaze waiting after each addition. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 2 hours. Invert on a large cake plate with a lip when ready to serve.

Southern Comfort Glaze

6 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup Southern Comfort (or bourbon)
3/4 cup sugar

In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and stir constantly for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and use quickly, or keep warm until ready to use.

Y'all have got to try this! And if you do, please let me know! I'll post photos of mine when finished.
Also, I just saw something for pumpkin pound cake! Hello! Yum!

Tonight, I'm working a wedding that's nautical themed! Ah, how exciting! 

Xoxo 

6 comments:

  1. MmmMm!! How yummy and even more awesome for finally being legal! :) whoooot whoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, it was very helpful! I just started in this and I'm getting to know it better! Cheers, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply perfect blog post - I save it on delicious - need more posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really very good article. I am glad to know. Thanks for sharing !

    Ready-Made Retailers Logo

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?
I love your feedback ♥